Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smogon Competitive Battling Tiers: Are they wrong?
21-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Smogon Competitive Battling Tiers: Are they wrong?
Smogon, the Pokemon Competitive Battling community, has recently made some rather interesting changes to their tiers. First of all, they have gotten rid of BL and and all the Pokemon from BL have gone to either UU or OU. Secondly, pokemon are being shoved down to tiers which are too powerful or too weak for that Pokemon. And we all know that some time ago, Smogon moved Garchomp from OU to Uber, and they say the metagame has never recovered.

If you follo smogon at all, then you will know all about this.

So the question I'm asking today, is the metagame wrong? Do you believe it's wrong?

My answer, I do. But that's my opinon. What's yours?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2009, 08:32 PM
RE: Smogon Competitive Battling Tiers: Are they wrong?
Yes I do believe that Smogon have gone nuts and are definately wrong

they put Manaphy in Uber recently which is silly due to it's terrible stats

Garchomp has many counters and should be back in OU.

Me and my friend from the forum im at a lot, believe that the smogon tiers are stupid and we just have a bunch of overpowered legends as ubers and then everything else is allowed as standard.

what makes smogon's tiers so special compared to other tier lists?

they messed up the metagame a lot with their silly changes.

they use ShoddyBattle to test and they should test with real battles. Shoddy isnt as reliable as real battling. That's why Smogon's tiers suck.

check out http://www.tinyurl.com/nuforums for the ultimate Nintendo Forum Experience!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Does Smogon have any real authority on which Pokémon people can use in metagaming? I think not. I used to look at it as a reference to where Pokémon stand, but I don't even do that anymore. I'm sure I have some UU's in my team, but oh well. How I determine what Pokémon would be fair for metagaming or not is to see if it is acceptable to use in the Battle Tower. And if someone wants to use those Pokémon who are not accepted in the Battle Tower, I would be happy to do the same.

On a side note, I'm not metagaming right now, since I'm not playing Diamond currently. My perfectionism got the best of me and I deleted the save file on that game :D. Also, Manaphy doesn't have too terrible stats and it has Tail Glow, which really helps out with Special attacks. Just something I had to say :).
22-03-2009, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 22-03-2009 02:57 PM by Box of Fail.)
I've never really liked their tiers. Skymin should be uber, Manaphy should be OU, the Rotom forms should all be OU except for the Plasma form. I don't believe the Garchomp thing has any real answer, you could make convincing arguments either way. But the banning of Cacturne that happened a while ago was ridiculous. I do think, however, that Smogon deserves to boss people who use ShoddyBattle around, because it is their program after all.

But I will say that I am VERY pleased with the abolition of BL. It has always been a pointless tier, and I for one am elated to see it go.

νύμφη δ' ἄπροικος οὐκ ἔχει παρρησίαν. - Menander
22-03-2009, 03:01 AM
I saw Smogen a while ago, i wanted to do it but I could not for the life of me figure out how to actually play it. I like to sprite in my free time, so i have some decent trainers and pokemon.

- first post -

[Image: riachusig.png]
22-03-2009, 07:23 AM
We actually have our own tier list. It's a stickied thread in Battle Arena.

This signature has been suspended due to violation of signature rules. For more information on the signature rules, click here.
22-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Yes, Manaphy should be in OU and Skymin in Uber. Smogon is trying to "liven up" the metagame, and it is backfiring horribly in their face.
22-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Except that you don't agree with the abolition of BL. BL was and is (where still in use) pointless, you don't need an 'in-between' because BL Pokemon could just be considered OU or UU depending on the situation (OU in OU play, and the only time they were UU were in BL/UU tournaments). So, goodbye, BL tier. I'm not going to miss you.

νύμφη δ' ἄπροικος οὐκ ἔχει παρρησίαν. - Menander
22-03-2009, 03:16 PM
BL was, all along, mostly pointless.

Smogon are getting a lot of things wrong.
22-03-2009, 04:04 PM
(21-03-2009 08:23 PM)Incredible Ink Wrote:  Secondly, pokemon are being shoved down to tiers which are too powerful or too weak for that Pokemon.
'Being too weak' for a tier isn't an excuse; although Garchomp isn't very good in Ubers, it was deemed too strong for OU. Don't think of Ubers as a separate tier; think of it as a ban list for OU.
(21-03-2009 08:32 PM)aryehcelebi Wrote:  they put Manaphy in Uber recently which is silly due to it's terrible stats

Garchomp has many counters and should be back in OU.

they use ShoddyBattle to test and they should test with real battles. Shoddy isnt as reliable as real battling. That's why Smogon's tiers suck.
1. Manaphy's stats are nowhere near terrible. It has the same base stat total as Deoxys; are you saying that should be OU too?

2. And those counters would be?

3. Shoddy Battle was programmed to be exactly the same as DS battling. Can you give me an example of how Shoddy Battle is 'less reliable' than D/P?

[Image: amethystwalk.gif]